Sunday, January 08, 2006

I Evoke Brow XI: "No more time to tell how"

Mind Game by the staff of Baseball Prospectus Surprisingly disappointing. I've been dying to read this book for months and I was sadly let down. Not that's it's not informative and, at times, interesting. It's just that there's not much new for devotee's of the BP website. This book would have been a revelation to me a few years ago--now, I'm apparently no longer the target audience. And while I love the authors work on the website, their prose is not in the same league as the classic Bill James books that set the bar for this sort of publication. Even when James discusses research that has been since surpassed or even refuted, he writes with wit and charm. Jim Baker, a Jamesian apostle, at times brings something to the table, but on the whole Mind Game is rather dull if you already know sabermetrics. My rating: 3/10 For the average baseball fan: 8/10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home