Friday, September 16, 2005

I Evoke Brow

I love working at a library: I usually juggle 3-4 books at a time and I finish one or two a week, so relying on Amazon or B&N would bankrupt me. Anyway, I figured I could bring something to the table in the way of book reviews, or at least memorable quotes from what I read. In that vein, the most recent book I've finished is Michael Pollan's A Place of My Own : The Education of an Amateur Builder. An excellent read, if a bit wordy at times. In the context of a simple construction project, Pollan looks at the evolution of post-WWII philosophy and the rewards of manual labor (without being overly smarmy about it). I've been fascinated by architecture since I read Tracy Kidder's House as a child; I think of A Place of My Own as the sequel to that great book. Note: If you're confused about the title, here's a hint: link

1 Comments:

At 9/16/2005 02:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

smarmy bebe? ;) you and your vocabulary. i'm in love your brain... and your person too :*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home